https://follow.it/amir-samdani?action=followPub

Monday 16 March 2020

Last days of Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar

Maulana Mohammed Ali Jauhar in 1923 was president of all India Congress party, later on, he became a founder member of All India Muslim League. In 1930 he attended the first Round Table Conference in London and delivered a significant speech, a part of his speech is noteworthy:
“I hope you will forgive this long introduction about my ill-health and ailments and all sorts of things; but the fact is that today the one purpose for which I came is this–that I want to go back to my country if I can go back with the substance of freedom in my hand. Otherwise, I will not go back to a slave country. I would even prefer to die in a foreign country, so long as it is a free country; and if you do not give us freedom in India you will have to give me a grave here.”
He died of a stroke in London on 4 January 1931 and was buried in the Holy City of Jerusalemby the choice of his relatives, friends and admirers, and not returned to their own slave country as he said in his speech incidentally.
About Khilafat movement, the one famous stanza of the poetry of the age necessarily needs to be mentioned:
بولی اماں محمد علی کی
جان بیٹا خلافت پہ دیدو
‘Muhammad Ali's mother said, to him: My beloved son! sacrifice yourself on the Khilafat.’
Maulana Shaukat Ali, the big brother of Mohammed Ali died in Delhi 1938, buried in the Park in front of Jama Masjid.

No comments:

Post a Comment